With the help of two Brians and Mother Nature, we got a lot done over the holiday weekend. On New Year's Eve, Fin, Architect Brian, and Neighbor Brian got the purlins in on the southeast and southwest sections of the roof. We spent that evening developing a strategy to get the middle section purlins up. We also made a delicious dinner and made some noise at midnight, of course.
The middle section presented a few challenges: the beams are longer, they had to be lifted from the ground, not the deck of the hayloft, and attaching them would require two people to be 24 feet off the ground with nothing but concrete beneath them. Pretty scary stuff! We devised a system to pull up the beams with ropes. Happily, it worked.
The first few were a cinch. The last few, not so much. Fortunately, these guys are very brave and each had a safety harness just in case.
Unfortunately, I have no pictures of the top ones because I was too busy biting my nails and holding my breath while the guys were working on them. They nailed in the last one before dusk on New Year's Day. It looks amazing. Now we just have to do the north side and attach the ridgepole, and then the barn will be ready for a roof!